UPI – check out these events TODAY for NEIU’s Health Day.
———- Forwarded message ———-
From: Adam Messinger
Date: Tuesday, March 28, 2017
Subject: NEIU Health Day Events tomorrow, Wednesday March 29
I wanted to let you know about NEIU’s Health Day, which is TOMORROW, Wednesday March 29th. The goal of health day is to raise awareness about public health issues, with an emphasis on disparities in access to services as well as the impact of violence on communities. It’s an all-day affair, in Student Union, and it’s so expansive that it’s hard to describe it all in an email. See full schedule below (along with a poster for my particular event).
Some things to particularly consider taking students to tomorrow (although everything looks interesting!):
– Linda Rae Murray, Chief Medical Officer of Cook County Hospital, will provide the opening Keynote Address on access to health care as a human right, and the ongoing inequalities in access (10:30-11:00 in Golden Eagles)
– Saba Ayman-Nolley, NEIU’s Psychology Dept. Chair, is presenting on the role of the arts in healthy living (11:00-11:20 in SU 215, followed by a workshop 11:20-12:30)
– Anne Scheetz, a physician and advocate for Medicare expansion, discusses the need for protecting health care coverage in the US (11:30-12:20 in Golden Eagles)
– Rachel Birmingham, NEIU’s CAST Coordinator, is talking about poverty’s impact on childhood (12:30-12:50 in Golden Eagles)
– Susan Auman of NEIU’s Social Work Dept. is presenting on practicing mindfulness (2:20-3:35 in SU 216)
– I’m presenting with a panel of experts on transgender domestic violence and strategies for improving victim services (2:30-3:30 in Golden Eagles)
– Yamile Molina, a professor at UIC, is presenting her research on racial-ethnic inequities in quickly diagnosing and treating breast cancer (3:40-4:20 in Golden Eagles)
In Alumni Hall from 11:00-4:30, they are also having a large group of NEIU, Chicago community, and national non-profit health-related organizations offering information and brochures in what they’re calling a “Health Market.” Free chair massages in SU 217 from 11-3! Concerts in the Cafeteria, blood pressure and HIV/STI screenings, and much more. See below. Please help spread the word!
Our appreciation to Da In Lee, an NEIU McNair Scholar, for spearheading the organization of this great day of events!